Restaurant Menus and Solfege!

Today, my family was out enjoying Bryce Canyon and advertising for LPM, and we stopped at Clarke's Restaurant in Tropic for dinner.  This is a really fuzzy shot of the menu that they give the kiddos to color on, but it will help illustrate the story.


You don't need to see much of the detail - the only important part is the middle 1/3 section.  It says something like "draw a picture in the box on top and then on the lines below, write what your picture is about."

Well, my little Maggie (she's almost 4) decided that she was going to use the lines for something better.  We were ignoring her, trying to figure out what we wanted for dinner, and all of a sudden, she starts begging me to watch her.

So, being a good mommy, I ask her what she wants to show me, and she sings, "Do, a deer, a female deer, Re, a drop of golden sun..." and so on.  Each time she moved to a different note, she took her red crayon (see the red line in the middle?) and went up one step on the "scale."  Now, she kind of kept singing the solfege, so we did the better part of 2 octaves (and started screeching before she stopped), but that was ALL her.

And where did she learn it?  Let's Play Music!  Was I forcing her to practice with a kitchen timer set for 20 minutes and my angry mom voice saying, "You're going to practice whether you like it or not!"?  NO!  She WANTED to practice.   Then, the whole way home, she was begging me to do Let's Play Music when we got home ...so we may have broken out the bells and autoharp for a little while before bedtime.   Moral of the story?  Sign your kiddos up for classes this fall!  They'll love music, and you'll love that they WANT to learn music!  Click on the "Meet Michelle!" tab for my contact information.

Oh, and while I've got this post going, I just set up a Facebook Page for my Let's Play Music studio.  Go on over there and like it please!

No comments:

Post a Comment